IND vs AUS | CWC 2023 Final: Indian superstar Virat Kohli stands on the cusp of history ahead of the ICC World Cup 2023 final between India and Australia. The 33-year-old right-hander is just 3 runs away from surpassing Australian great Ricky Ponting as the second highest run-scorer in World Cup history.
Kohli has been in scintillating form throughout the tournament, anchoring India’s batting with over 700 runs already to his name.
His average in World Cup matches currently stands at a remarkable 60.74. In 36 appearances across multiple World Cups, Kohli has notched up 1741 runs comprising 5 centuries and 11 fifties.
Only the great Sachin Tendulkar has more World Cup runs than Kohli and Ponting, with 2278 runs in 45 matches.
Ponting amassed his 1743 runs in 46 outings. Come Sunday at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Kohli will be eager to leapfrog Ponting with a trademark batting masterclass.
Virat Kohli Against Australia; Here are the ODI batting records and stats
- Kohli made his ODI debut in 2008 and has played 279 innings in 291 matches.
- His total ODI runs scored is 13,794 at an average of 58.69 and a strike rate of 93.62.
- In his 279 innings, Kohli has scored 50 centuries and 71 half-centuries.
- He has been out for zero 16 times.
- Against Australia, Kohli has played 46 innings in 48 matches.
- His runs scored vs Australia is 2,313 at an average of 53.79 and strike rate of 94.21.
- He has hit 8 centuries and 13 half-centuries vs Australia.
- Kohli’s highest score against Australia is 123.
- In Australia, Kohli has played 29 innings in 29 matches.
- His runs scored in Australia is 1,327 at an average of 51.03 and strike rate of 89.06.
- He has scored 5 centuries and 6 half-centuries in Australia.
Virat Kohli Against Australia in ODI Cricket – Record and Stats
Virat Kohli Overall ODI Career
Virat Kohli Against Australia – Records and Stats
Virat Kohli In Australia – Record and Stats
IND vs AUS | CWC 2023 Finals: Kohli to Surpass Ponting’s Record
The stage could not be bigger for Kohli’s date with destiny. The World Cup final at the MCG against arch rivals Australia represents the perfect opportunity for Kohli to surpass Ponting’s milestone.
For Indian fans it would be the cherry on top of a historic World Cup triumph. Australian fans would rue seeing their legend Ponting overtaken at their cricket Mecca.
Kohli’s sublime form has been central to India’s dominant run to the final. With 10 consecutive wins in the tournament so far, India have been the standout team. Kohli has led the batting charts almost right through the Super 12 stage and knockouts.
His heroics in the high stakes semi-final against England took India over the line. His 46th ODI ton etched his name into the record books as the leading century-maker in 50-over cricket. Cometh the hour, cometh the king could well define Kohli’s performances this World Cup.
Kohli and Ashwin To Become the only Indian Cricketers to Feature in Two World Cup Winning Team | IND vs AUS
Beyond the individual accolades, Kohli will be focused on the bigger prize of winning India’s third World Cup title.
Under Rohit Sharma’s captaincy, this Indian team has showcased all-round excellence to emerge as favorites for the trophy.
If Kohli can mastermind a historic run-chase or anchoring innings in the final, he will firmly etch his name among the pantheon of World Cup legends. For now, King Kohli stands poised on the edge of more greatness at the MCG.